- We are developing techniques to accumulate, store and manipulate large numbers of positrons and to make state-of-the-art cold positron beams - in essence, to make low-energy antimatter in the laboratory a reality. We are interested in using these collections of antimatter to study a number of scientific problems. We conducted the first studies of electron-positron plasmas. We have also conducted a number of high-energy-resolution studies of the interaction of positrons with atoms and molecules. Current work is focusing on the binding of positrons to neutral matter and measurements of positron-molecule binding energies - an important element in developing a quantitative chemistry of matter and antimatter. We are also building apparatus to study positron interactions with low vapor pressure materials such as metal atoms, large molecules, and freely suspended atomic clusters.
In the area of antimatter technology, we are developing new types of specially tailored positron beams, including those with greatly improved energy resolution. We are also building a novel multicell trap that is expected to extend antimatter storage capabilities by additional orders of magnitude.
- - "Electrostatic Beams from Tailored Plasmas in a Penning-Malmberg Trap," T. R. Weber, J. R. Danielson and C. M. Surko, Phys. Plasmas, 17, 123507 (2010).
- - "Positron-molecule Interactions: Resonant Attachment, Annihilation, and Bound States," G. F. Gribakin, J. A. Young, and C. M. Surko, Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 2557- 2607 (2010).
- - "Dipole Enhancement of Positron Binding to Molecules," J. R. Danielson, J. J. Gosselin, and C. M. Surko, Phys. Rev. Lett., 104, 233201 (2010).
- - "Creation of Finely Focused Particle Beams from Single-component Plasmas," T. R. Weber, J. R. Danielson and C. M. Surko, Phys. Plasmas, 15, 012106 (2008).
- - "Feshbach-resonance-mediated Annihilation in Small Molecules," J. A. Young and C. M. Surko, Phys. Rev. A, 78, 032702 (2008); see also Phys. Rev. A 77, 052704 (2008).
- - "Plasma Manipulation Techniques for Positron Storage in a Multicell Trap," J. R. Danielson, T. R. Weber and C. M. Surko, Phys. Plasmas, 13, 123502, 1 (2006).
- - "Torque-Balanced High-Density Steady States of Single-Component Plasmas," J. R. Danielson and C. M. Surko, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 035001 (2005).
- - "Low-Energy Positron Interactions with Atoms and Molecules," C. M. Surko, G. F. Gribakin, and S. J. Buckman, J. Phys. B 38, R57 (2005).
- - "Emerging Physics and Technology of Antimatter Plasmas and Trap-Based Beams," C. M. Surko and R. G. Greaves, Phys. Plasmas 11, 2333 (2004).
- - "Excitation of Molecular Vibrations by Positron Impact," J. P. Sullivan, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 1494 (2001).
- - "Excitation of Electronic States of Ar, H2, and N2 by Positron Impact," J. P. Sullivan, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 073201 (2001).
- - "An Electron-Positron Beam-Plasma Experiment," R. G. Greaves and C. M. Surko, Phys. Rev. Lett. 75, 3846 (1995).